Children & Families
Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration (SCRA)
The Children’s Hearings System is the care and justice system for Scotland’s children and young people. A fundamental principle is that children who commit offences, and children who need care and protection, are dealt with in the same system – as these are often the same children.
At the heart of the system are Children’s Reporters, who are based in our local communities. Children and young people are referred to the Reporter from a number of sources, including police, social work, education and health. They are referred because some aspect of their life is giving cause for concern.
Link to SCRA website which has further information:
The role of Advocacy in Children’s Hearings and Child Protection
- The Advocate is there for the parent/guardian or child.
- The Advocate will meet with the parent/guardian or child before the hearing or meeting to explain what will happen and give any explanations if client does not understand something and also to get an understanding of the issues to be discussed.
- The Advocate will speak for the parent/guardian or child if they feel unable to as instructed by the individual client.
- The Advocate will help parent/guardian or child once child protection decisions have been made if the outcome is not what they wanted.
- The Advocate is there to support the parent/guardian or child throughout the process but not to give you advice or tell you what to do.
Link to further information on child protection- http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/cpc/
Dumfries and Galloway Advocacy Service can support the Parent/Guardian (over 18) and Hear 4 U is an Advocacy organisation available to support the child/young person.
Link to contact information for Hear 4 U – http://www.barnardos.org.uk/hear4u/hear4u_contact_us.htm
Worried about a Child?
If you are worried that a child might be at risk of harm you will find information and advice on the link at the bottom of this page.
You should however consider sharing your concern by contacting one of the following:
Social Work (ask for Duty Social Worker) – 030 33 33 3000
Annan – 01461 207550
Dumfries – 01387 273600
Kirkcudbright – 01557 339260
Newton Stewart – 01671 403164
Stranraer – 01776 706082
Police – 101
Childline – 0800 1111